Monday, October 28, 2013

5th Observation 10/24 And My Essential Question

Time is a precious thing in the classroom. And classroom management plays a large part in either maximizing the little time teachers have with students or watching it waste away. It is not a question of whether classroom management is a skill that can be mastered, but more so an understanding that students must know these processes so the potential for a fluid, well constructed classroom is there everyday. Let's face it - with 25 students, all with different personalties and tendencies, everyday won't be incredibly efficient, but the goal is to limit those days.

During my time in the classroom last week, I saw just how quickly this valuable time can waste away. And I should mention that the class I was in seemed like a great class. The teacher was monitoring the students, doing his best to keep them on track. But in a room where every minute is critical, more has to be done to get the students from the hallway to their seats in as little time as possible. While five to seven minutes may seem like a short time, it does add up over the course of an entire year. If students are taking an average of 7 minutes per class to be seated and begin their work, they are wasting an average of 35 minutes per week.

I've always known that classroom management is a vital part to student success, which leads me to my essential question: How can I create a classroom environment that is structured to promote student growth and efficiency.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that every minute is precious. There must be some ways that we can make students see the use and need of class time. I'm thinking that one technique might be to show students first hand how much time is wasted getting settled and set goals for them to reach if they manage to cut down the amount of wasted time. Maybe if they manage to only waste a certain amount of time a month preparing they get a pizza party. It can become a routine that students get into and eventually they won't need to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete