Tuesday, October 15, 2013

3rd Observation 10/3

Spending time in an ELL classroom was a learning experience. The educators I saw in action seemed to be "connected" to their respective class, clear by the way they were able to organize the class in a way that was most conducive to learning. It felt, to me, that this was more than simply knowing their students. A teacher must know when and how to incorporate constructive peer interaction during class, otherwise instead of inhibiting learning, it could take away from the students' learning experience. An example of this was the math class I observed. The teacher clearly had "withitness" - she saw students having trouble and instinctively placed them with other students that could help. To me, this is the mark a great educator.

Chapter 5 of Subject Matters lists multiple reading strategies, and I was excited to see evidence of these strategies being used in the classroom. One that I saw posted in numerous classes was the "KWL" reading strategy, one that I feel can be very beneficial. If you think about it, it does exactly what we consider to be appropriate reading techniques for students. They begin by brainstorming, in the process unlocking prior knowledge. This is followed by asking questions, creating a purpose for reading the text, which keeps the students engaged in their reading. Finally, the students summarize what they have learned, developing connections. Of course, this strategy can only be effective if the students complete all stages. But I feel this is a simple, easy to grasp strategy that should absolutely be used.


2 comments:

  1. KWL charts, in my mind, are only useful if you use them properly (as with any other strategy, I suppose....). I guess what I mean here is that if the teacher hands out KWL charts just to give students busywork to do while they read, they are virtually worthless. The teacher has to explain how the student should use that chart. For example, something I always had problems with regarding KWL is the "want to know" section. If the student doesn't have prior knowledge about something and has just been introduced to it, how should they have any clue what they "want to know" about it? The teacher has to teach that student how to skim over the text to get the basic idea of what's in it before moving on to the "want to know" portion. An upgraded version of the traditional KWL chart, in my opinion, is the "KLEW" chart. The K stands for the same; what students know previously about that topic. The L represents what is to be learned, and should be supplied by the teacher as an objective. The E represents evidence that supports what has been learned, and requires students to actually pull information from the text. Finally, the W stands for wondering, an area in which the student should jot down something they were curious about or didn't understand from the text. Again, as long as it is properly explained and implemented, this is a good literacy method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. As you said, any strategy must be used properly to be successful. I've always imagined that with reading strategies like the KWL, there needs to be a certain level of guided learning involved. You're right - it would be pointless to hand out this chart and say, "Alright, kids. I want to see that filled out by tomorrow." I think reading strategies should be a whole-class experience, with constant brainstorming and discussion. Eventually, this will get internalized. The "KLEW" chart does make "KLW" seem kind of archaic, huh? I really like the idea of having students actively read the text searching for evidence, making them more involved in the reading experience .

    ReplyDelete