Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My Literacy Profile


In the everyday world, where work takes precedence over most things, we can learn a lot about an individual by examining what he or she is interested in. What does that person do with his or her free time, and how do they continue to build upon their funds of knowledge concerning that topic. Is it a love for sports? Or maybe it's an interest in nature. Whatever it may be, it can often turn out to be useful for educators to know how and why people mine through information to become more knowledgable in a particular topic that they love. By knowing this, teachers may be able to incorporate these techniques into the structure of the curriculum, thus creating assignments that bring out the passion and energy their students possess.

While I have many interests that I am truly passionate about, one that has had the greatest impact on my life is my interest in nutrition - an interest that developed many years ago. As is the case with most adolescents, I developed acne in my teenage years. While during this time acne was something that I was able to tolerate, under the assumption that it was simply a byproduct of puberty, I eventually came to the conclusion that this was not the case, as it persisted into my 20s. It was at this point that I felt I had to do something. So, like most individuals with acne, I made an appointment with the nearest dermatologist, hoping I would be prescribed a "magic" cream that would make this nightmare go away. Over the course of a year or so, I was continuously prescribed creams with names I had difficulty pronouncing, all of them coming with the promise of being able to rid my face of my acne and uncover a pimple-free complexion. While I became disheartened over time I continued to see the dermatologist. But hope can only last so long, and after countless unsuccessful attempts I came to the conclusion that I was wasting my time. So, as someone who has always been a very determined and self-sufficient person, I decided to find my own solution. This involved me spending time researching and seeking advice from online communities comprised of individuals who were also dealing with acne. It was after this that I realized that changing my diet would be the only way to rid myself of those miserable pimples. This would ultimately turn into an interest that would change almost every aspect of my life for the better.

As I began developing my interest in nutrition, I was mostly concerned with things you assume would have an affect on one's acne: fats (saturated and trans), sugar and simple carbohydrates. I felt that if I was able to remove these things from my diet, I would not only have clearer skin but I would become healthier in the process. This was largely the case. I felt more energized and my skin was glowing. But I wanted to know more about what I could do to become healthier. I began researching the affects that additives and preservatives have on the body. Unfortunately, too many people think that if they count their calories and watch their fat intake they are considered "healthy." This isn't the case. Your turkey sandwich may be a low calorie choice for lunch, but the deli meat that sandwich contains is filled with nitrates and nitrites that have been proven to be just as harmful to your body as any amount of fat. I don't know about you, but sodium benzoate doesn't sound very appetizing, neither does "RED40" or any of the other artificial and chemically derived ingredients Americans consume on a daily basis. Because of this research, I do my best to eat natural ingredients.

What began as the occasional search for foods and diet plans that would rid myself of acne, over time became something I was more conscious about. I now wanted to know where I was getting my information. I would often ask myself, 'Are these sources credible?' I was not simply accepting everything as fact - something I often did initially. I now wanted to know who was writing the article I was reading and how knowledgeable this person was about the topic. While I initially browsed blog posts made by individuals who were in my predicament, I felt I needed more reliable information. Although I wasn't aware of it at the time, I was beginning to develop more substantial critical reading and thinking skills.

For a second, Imagine our students building important skills without ever noticing that they are doing "work." I was able to become a better critical thinker simply by researching a topic that I was passionate about, and not once did I ever stop and consciously think about what I was doing. Our students need to have this experience while in the classroom. Of course, we can't structure every lesson around each individual student's unique interest, but if we are able to find an important topic that the students feel strongly about, we will then be able to elicit the same passionate reactions from them that their hobbies are able to elicit.

2 comments:

  1. Justin, you make a very crucial point... learning (and the work involved in the learning process) can often be "disguised" as a fun and interesting experience if educators utilize creative methods when teaching students new skills. Skill development, especially in the area of research, is an invaluable lesson and the knowledge gained from learning how to determine source credibility is a crucial skill set for students, particularly in the middle and secondary years of education. The knowledge students gain during such an experience is invaluable because it can be applied in a multitude of future learning experiences, both in school setting and the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your profile. I especially like the bit about learning through passion. When I was in high school I hated essays. I'd do all the things other high school kids would do: widen the margins, increase the font, whatever it took to get myself closer to the end so I wouldn't have to do it. It was only when I was allowed to write about something I cared about, in my case cartooning (back then I wanted to be an artist), that I took the time to learn the basic foundations of writing essays in order to do well.

    ReplyDelete